Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

mis(s)adventure - ala first-timer



I claim to be frequent traveller, going to places by bus, boat and plane, traveling to almost ten different places in a month. It's not bragging but it's putting a context to my misadventure yesterday.

Yesterday, I questioned my claim being a frequent traveler after left by a plane from my hometown -Cagayan de Oro to Manila.

What makes it more exciting was thinking how to catch up my London flight tomorrow (April 19). And I was uncertain if there are flights on Good Friday.

I was sooo (emphasize the so early coz I arrived at the airport two hours before departure) early to travel to the airport anticipating for less shuttles to travel due to Holy Week. (In the Philippines, Holy Week is a big thing. Shops are all closed and roads are clear, just like every time Manny Pacquiao has a boxing fight).

I guess I was one of the first few passengers to check-in. I was seated at the other gate to stay away from the crowd. And after few hours a crew announced for a delayed flight. I was very passive, I didn't react to it because I've been thru worst like cancelled flight when I was about to have my appointment to process my VISA for United Kingdom.

It was past 5:00 in the afternoon and I haven't boarded yet. My boarding time was 4:45 after the crew announced of the delay. Then another airline was boarding.

I post a photo of the empty seats and about to post on Twitter a not-again- theme, afraid I wasn't able to make it to my flight.

When I look around, I was the only passenger left behind the boarding area.
Yes, it's just literally me and two maintenance crew cleaning the boarding area.

And for the whole time of waiting at the boarding area, I didn't hear a notice of boarding and didn't hear my name for last call for boarding.

I went down to check crews of the plane but I didn't see anyone. Check-in counter is literally closed. I asked the police officer and he confirmed that I missed my flight. My instinct never fails me, always!

Knowing that I missed my flight and with second thought, what If I can't make it to my London trip, my first travel outside Asia. My efforts for VISA processing and all those invested feeling of suspense, excitement and stressed, especially that I got my VISA and my friends' VISA on a last minute will be put to waste. If it happens, I can't accept and forgive myself.

For few hours, I felt ashamed of my claim being a frequent traveller. For few hours, I was branding myself as a stupid traveler. My gosh, I hope I can catch up my London trip with my friends and colleague tomorrow.

Lesson learned: Even if you travel a lot, don't be too relax. Keep the focus ALL THE TIME and stay near your assigned gate number just in case you over sleep or in case your mind shutdowns mysteriously.

0 comments: