Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

I got one more angel in heaven!


with Greta, Jay, and Keisha when they visited us at  home last January 4, 2014. This was the last time I saw her in good shape. 
Wrote this under a big tree, while seating on a chair with a view of a wooden house and  on the right side of the house, there is a window where I can see vividly a portion of a white coffin. 

"This will be the most difficult task  - giving a eulogy for a dear friend.  And I hope this message gets thru despite my sobs. 

Yes, all those mentioned by the speakers ahead of me,  sharing how Greta had has touched your lives and how she was when she was still with us, are all true. I would like to affirm those. And that's how her friends from college know her. 

But before I continue, let me tell you that we may be only few here, attending the funeral but there are a lot of people who have shown love and care - sent their messages and prayers -  for Greta coming from all parts of the world. 

And up to her last days,  even after she died, we have seen how God , or  Magbabaya as the natives call it, works wonders. It was seen and felt by her friends and the people who even don't know her as a person, who she didn't know either. We were all moved by Greta's life. 

An example to this  is the generosity and kind-hearted friend from the USA  who felt a strong affinity to Greta, even if they don't know each other. She reached out and sent her help for Greta's recovery. With this message and photo that warms our heart.



"My grey world- dead grass, trees with no leaves , no sun and its freezing cold. Helping Greta and her family will brighten my day!," says my American friend.  This photo was taken early in the morning in Chicago, taken by my friend.

And as of this writing, all here friends from different circles continue to unite and support each other for Greta.   That's how dear she is to us. "Greta has been and will always be part of each on, her friends," says our common close friend, Cling. 

Personally, Greta, had been my lifeline in this lifetime, ever since I have known her.  She was my brutal and honest friend. She was one of my few friends who always give me harsh and honest comments and advices. 

In one my  last conversations with her, out of the blue, she asked me, "Gikapoy naka maging single noh? Tug-an ug tinood! (Are you tired of being single? Tell me the truth!)


I turned red. I replied, “Why are you so harsh. It's as if  I was slapped strongly on both sides of my face. And she just replied, “Anah man jud nang mga tinuod nga amiga oi, walay pasakayay, walay plastikanay,” (That’s what true friends are, no sugar coating.)

She was really consistent of her words.  She might have worries and don't want me to be an old maid. I know it sounds sarcastic to others but I find it sweet.  It was an endearment to us. 

I'll gonna miss the teasing, the conversation and those moments when we had to cheer up each other if one of us feels upset, mam. 
at Divisoria, where we used to kill our time, talking with the street kids 

Way back college, I had seen her as strong yet selfless friend.  One time, I had an empty pocket and she had her last money left from her allowance - a hundred pesos. She never hesitated to share it with me and we both survived for that day. 

And up to the months that  she was already sick, she still  thinks of the welfare of her friends and family, more than herself. And her being selfless never changed until the last days of her life. 

I am certain that in one way or another, Greta has all of us in so many ways.

She made us -her friends- stronger and closer, better than before, even if we are in different circles. Our experiences with her will always remind us  to be supportive to each other and  to keep the friendship intact despite our personal differences.

Greta, ever since had been known as warrior and fighter. And that legacy remains in me. She has been helping me survive  my personal battle, fighting my own demons.   She reminds me not to give up with life. And that legacy will never be taken away from me. 

I saw her a week before she died. I witnessed how she wanted to survive but her frail body wasn’t able to make it.

It was hard for me to accept seeing her frail body and much more of her passing. It didn't immediately sink in. I may not have the answers now why God got her too soon. 

Early morning after she died, I called her 5-year-old daughter, Keisha, to tell her, while trying to control my sob, how Papa Jesus loves her mother and that Papa Jesus is already taking care of her. But I was struck of her respond, saying, “Tita Mai, dili lang man si Mama iya love, kita man tanan.” (Tita Mai, Papa Jesus loves everyone not just mama.)

And I realized and said to her that, Yes, Papa Jesus loves everyone that He doesn’t want her mama and your family to suffer.

The conversation with Keisha gave me so much relief and assurance. And I think, for all her friends and family who love  her dearly, every time we miss her, we have to be reminded  to see the passing of Greta, through a child's perspective, through the eyes of Keisha. 

Mam,  I may not be able to hear you speak with your brutal and honest comments , see you and hear the Greta's trademark laugh anymore; and we may not have each other to lean on, listen to our frustrations, complexity of our personalities  but I know  I still got your back. 

Not as my  brutal and honest yet dear friend anymore but  as one of my angels in heaven, protecting me with all my adventures here on earth. 

It’s hard to say this but I have to be selfless, the same way you have thought us - I am letting you go. No more pain. No more sufferings for you, mam. 

And one last favor, mam,   please help me not to sob anymore, because my eyes are already swelling and if that happens, I may not find a boyfriend, which you desire for me to have. :P

Thank you, mam. My journey, your friend's and family's will never be the same without you. 

Farewell, Greta! You fought well, mam!"


As I was on my last words of my eulogy, with sobs in between, while  staring at the coffin, Keisha in white plane t-shirt, was running towards me calling me loudly, 'Tita Mai! Tita Mai" with her charismatic smile. I stared at her,  seeing Greta in her, then we tightly hugged each other.  
with Greta and my other lifelines


The one written here is not the exact words I shared, I made it shorter during the eulogy. 



0 comments: